The mission of WG 1 is to establish and maintain a platform for sharing and transfer of knowledge and experience gained on regulatory infrastructure within the members of EuCAS Network for its improvement. Therefore, the main objective of WG 1 is to contribute to an efficient regulatory oversight for nuclear and radiation safety in the peaceful applications of nuclear energy and ionizing radiation.
Specifically, the objectives of WG 1 are:
- Provide a platform for regional and international exchange, an opportunity for mutual support and coordination of regional initiatives in regulatory infrastructure for nuclear and radiation safety;
- Identify and address specific regional needs for governmental, legal and regulatory framework for safety;
- Promote and facilitate the exchange of knowledge, experience, and information;
- Introduce a strategic graded approach to capacity building for the regulatory infrastructure for nuclear and radiation safety;
- Intensify cooperation with other regional networks, international and national organizations to strengthen regulatory practice and approaches for regulatory oversight for safety.
The scope of WG 1 is defined by the expressed needs of the Member States, including knowledge transfer, exchange of information and experiences related to:
- Legal and regulatory infrastructure for safety.
- Implementation of the IAEA safety standards in the national regulatory frameworks.
- Regulatory functions (authorization, review and assessment, inspection, etc.);
- Regulatory control of radiation facilities, activities, and exposure situations, including emergency preparedness and response and transport of radioactive materials (licensing process, border control, radioactivity in scrap metals and contaminated goods, import/export);
- Assessment of regulatory needs related to the management of nuclear and radiation safety aspects;
Peer review and Advisory services;
- Communication and consultation practices;
- Formal and informal mechanisms of regulatory cooperation among/between the Member States.
The scope of WG 1 may include additional specific issues on regulatory infrastructure upon request of EuCAS Members with approval/agreement of its steering committee.