ARTEMIS reviews aim to provide independent expert opinion and advice to assist Member States in improving performance in the area or activity under review. Based on safety principles consistent with the articles of the
Joint Convention on the Safety of Spent Fuel Management and on the Safety of Radioactive Waste Management,
as well as on technical guidance and on international good practices, ARTEMIS also contributes to improving transparency and increasing national and international confidence in Member States' organizations, facilities, programmes and activities related to radioactive waste management. Benefits of ARTEMIS include:
- improved organizational performance relating to the issues under review;
- enhanced safety, optimized operations and reduced costs;
- improved transparency and stakeholder confidence, including with the general public;
- strengthened national programmes through improved national policies and strategies; and
- improved quality of decision making processes due to availability of additional perspectives.
The recipient entity remains fully responsible for all ensuing decisions and actions regarding the incorporation of review results contained in the ARTEMIS report.