Welcome to Regulatory Forum for Safety of Uranium Production and NORM (REGSUN)
Uranium production and management of Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM) have important safety and environmental protection considerations. Additional challenges are posed by new applications for uranium production, as well as increasing expectations for protection of health and the environment.
REGSUN was launched in 2018 to help build capacity in all Member States undertaking or considering uranium production or the management of NORM activities and NORM residues, in particular to:
- Promote good regulations and safe and environmentally responsible practices through the application of IAEA Safety Standards;
- Promote and increase the exchange of information and expertise among its participants, including providing regular updates on best practice, offering targeted assistance in review and provision of expertise, and identifying gaps in guidance and support;
- Support the development and utilization of IAEA tools and training materials;
- Provide strategic input for future IAEA work in areas related to safety of uranium production and NORM activities;
- Assist Member States to implement a sound regulatory regime for the regulation of uranium production and the management of NORM activities and residues.
According to recommendations from REGSUN 2019 held in Vienna, Austria from 10-14 June 2019, the REGSUN are focusing on:
- A 'train the trainer' training course for application of DS459
- The development of a graded approach to NORM regulations
- Dose assessment approach and methodology
For more information and registration of REGSUN, please contact us on email : Z.Fan@iaea.org