Welcome to Regulatory Forum for Safety of Uranium Production and NORM (REGSUN)
Uranium production and management of Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM) have important safety and environmental protection considerations. Additional challenges are posed by new applications for uranium production, as well as increasing expectations for protection of health and the environment.
The IAEA launched REGSUN in 2018 with aim to help with capacity building in Member States undertaking or considering uranium production or the management of NORM activities and NORM residues, in particular to:
- Promote good regulations and safe and environmentally responsible practices through the application of IAEA Safety Standards;
- Promote and increase the exchange of information and expertise among its participants, including providing regular updates on best practice, offering targeted assistance in review and provision of expertise, and identifying gaps in guidance and support;
- Support the development and utilization of IAEA tools and training materials;
- Provide strategic input for future IAEA work in areas related to safety of uranium production and NORM activities;
- Assist Member States to implement a sound regulatory regime for the regulation of uranium production and the management of NORM activities and residues.
News and Upcoming Events
It is my great pleasure to share with you the news that the guidance 'Application of the concepts of exemption and clearance to the regulation of naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM) across HERCA countries' is now published, and available at the HERCA website https://www.herca.org/new-guidance-on-norm/
SSG-60 epub version released
The IAEA Safety Standards Series No. SSG-60 Management of Residues Containing Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material from Uranium Production and Other Activities has been published online.
Management of Residues Containing Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material from Uranium Production and Other Activities | IAEA
An epub file suitable for reading on tablets and other devices. The epub offers a number of features, including linked references and easier personal bookmarking and notes.
The 10th International Symposium on Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM), will be hosted in Utrecht, the Netherlands on May 9 – 13, 2022. The theme of the NORM symposium in 2022 will be ” 25 years of NORM Symposia. Future: residues applied in a circular economy”.
Annual Meeting of the Regulatory Forum for Safety of Uranium
Production and NORM (REGSUN), 6-10 June 2022
TM on protection of groundwater in ISR for uranium production，5-
9 December 2022
How to Join
Step 1. CREATE AN ACCOUNT ON NUCLEUS
An email will be sent to you shortly after your registration. Click on the link mentioned in the email to confirm your registration.
Once your account is activated, go to https://gnssn.iaea.org/main/REGSUN/SitePages/Home.aspx and sign in at the top right corner of page.
Step 2. REGSUN registration
To be granted access to the Member's Area of the REGSUN, please kindly fill the form below:
And send the filled form to REGSUN.Contact-Point@iaea.org
For more information and registration of REGSUN, please contact REGSUN.Contact-Point@iaea.org.